Sunday, January 18, 2009

Why Me? What makes me think I am qualified?

Well, I don't - but so many of us are armchair directors so why not me?


I have watched many many movies in my day and try to watch 1 or 2 a week. Well, I do TRY! Sometimes I have to watch pieces of movies - I may watch 1/2 movie one night and the other half the next or two days later. Sometimes it takes me 3 nights to finish a movie, I'm a full time mom and full time computer geek.


I have seen some awful movies. I thought Mamma Mia was PAINFUL, I turned it off after 20 minutes and never looked back. I hated hated hated The English Patient and Ordinary People. Although there was one time in college I sat and watched the Ordinary People it was actually watchable, funny even. That was ONE time and I didn't inhale. HONESTLY.


I've even seen some of the most bizarre disturbing movies on the planet, most of which the majority of human beings never heard of, and never imagined...but I won't go there, unless you ask me too.


I enjoy movies that challenge my brain. Yea, not so difficult, huh?


I don't watch many chick-flicks but I have enjoyed one or two in my day.


I HATE movies that make me cry - and I will never ever ever ever watch Marley & Me, The Notebook and Gone Baby Gone. Oh yea, I did see that last one and I still get goosebumps when I think of that final scene. I still have nightmares, I still quiver and shake when I think of that little girl, Amanda McCready. I CAN NOT WATCH MORGAN FREEMAN CRY! Right, I will never watch The Bucket List and you all can tell me till you are all blue in the face that it's not a sad movie - I DO NOT CARE - I will not watch Morgan Freeman on his death bed. NOPE NOPE NOPE, especially now after being haunted by Gone Baby Gone.


I like horror movies, especially those of the 70's and 80's. I like giallo. I like film noir. I like some indie, I like some blockbusters. I like foreign flicks. I like Tarantino and I just can't spell his buddies name no matter how I try. I LOVE Joel and Ethan. I like dialogue flicks. I have an imdb, netflix and a jinni account.


My list of movies you probably did not see but you would probably like:


OldBoy (it's a Korean movie and I'll probably talk your ear off on this one) so if you are going to read this blog, you should see it at least once. It's disturbing YES very, but it's pretty darn awesome! Darn awesome. This is one of imdb's top 250. OldBoy is one of a trilogy, this one is far superior than the others but the other two are really really good; Sympathy for Mr. Vengence and Lady Vengence.


Zero Effect - Bill Pullman at his finest.


Sex and Lucia - WOW! Yeah, there is sex - but it's so much more than that. It's a very beautiful movie. Spanish film.


All About My Mother - another great Spanish flick. I used to think Penélope was just another pretty face until I saw her in this movie - now she is one of my favorite actresses.


Like Water for Chocolate - if a fairy tale about unrequited love but this is not at all sappy. It's sexy, funny and sad - and never ever boring.


Amelie - another imdb top 250 and The Very Long Engagement - long before she was in the The Da Vinci Code, Audrey Tautou was winning the hearts of millions all over the world.


Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring - WOW. Seriously WOW. This is a gorgeous movie. STUNNING!


and one last MUST SEE - Please watch The Fall. This movie is gorgeous - just gorgeous and really well acted.


Oh, so sorry, I do have another last MUST SEE - Night Watch, it's Russian and it's a LOT of fun. From the director of Wanted - which I totally loved as well, you'll see a similar style and similar effects. This is one of a trilogy set. The second movie, Day Watch was really good too. Those that loved the books do not like the movies, so if you were thinking about reading the books WAIT - please wait, you may enjoy the movies - from what I understand they are very very different.


If I intrigued your curiosity, stick around. This is going to be a lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment